All this WFH at least means I use my slow cooker more often. Tonight’s dinner is Dakbokkumtang (닭볶음탕), also known was Dakdoritang and Dakmeyuntang, essentially, spicy braised chicken stew.
The fall off the bone chicken in a spicy sauce, the deliciously soft potatoes and carrots are incredible mashed into rice!
This is a really simple dish, packed full of flavour and a real winter warmer – something I need after feeling quite cold all day!
Recipe for 4:
- 1kg chicken thighs, bone in, skin removed (you can use chicken breast chunks but I prefer thighs)
- 2 carrots, chopped in large chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 1 large onion, also roughly chopped into chunks
Add the above into a slow cooker. If you don’t have one, you can cook it on the hob, just cook on low for 2h and add half a cup of water to it. Keep an eye on it and stir and add splashes of water if it gets too dry. The sauce should be slightly thick similar to gravy.
For the sauce
- 3 TBS gochujang
- 1 TBS gochugaru
- 2 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS mirin
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 TBS sugar
Mix the ingredients and add to the slow cooker and mix.
Cook on high for 4-5h.
Add spring onions and sesame seeds once it’s cooked.
Serve with sticky rice.